If you are having any doubts about the drought situation in California and Nevada, here is a closer look at the drastic dry conditions that are being experienced far and wide.
An Indepth Look At the Dry Spell in California and Nevada
How is the drought situation in California and Nevada?
California and Nevada are now in complete drought following the dry conditions of two water years. As a result, there is a massive decrease in reservoir levels and low snowpack, which raises concerns for wildfires.
This level of drought has not been seen since the Dust Bowl and Great Depression days. Therefore, the reality of food shortage in America is likely to hit sooner than later. Besides California and Nevada, other states such as Colorado, Arizona, and the Prairie states are also experiencing drought.
Where in the Midwest Has the Drought Hit the Most?
Like California and Nevada, some states in the midwest have not been spared. Some of these include:
- Illinois: Drought here, especially in the northeastern region, has intensified to extreme levels and now covers roughly 6% of the state. What’s more, abnormally dry conditions are also being experienced in the state’s east side and northern region. Therefore, about 27% of the state is experiencing drought.
- Indiana: This is probably the least drought-stricken state of the Midwest. However, less than 1% of the state is experiencing drought conditions, but about 21% of the state reports abnormally dry conditions.
- Iowa: Iowa has been in a dry spell for some time. About 8% of the state, which spans between 12 countries in its northwestern region, is considered to be in severe drought. Even worse, about 64% of Iowa is currently suffering from rough, dry conditions.
- Nebraska: Though lucky enough to have received some much-needed rain, it wasn’t enough to end the drought. Therefore, moderate drought is at 16%, but 45% of the state suffers from dry conditions.
- Michigan: Unfortunately, the case is not different in Michigan. Dry conditions are hitting about 78% of the state, 64% is in moderate drought, and 6% is in severe drought.
- Minnesota: The drought condition in Minnesota is getting worse. Moderate drought has spread to 21% of the state, with two counties in the northwest experiencing severe drought. Generally, about 55% of the state is amid extreme dry conditions.
How About the Drought Situation in the Southeast US?
Here, Virginia and North and South Carolina have also not been spared by the dry spell. Though New Mexico is generally a dry state, its moderate drought levels are at 99%, severe drought at 96%, extreme drought at 77%, and exceptional drought at 47%.
Though not mentioned much, about 6% of Texas is already experiencing exceptional drought. This is in addition to the 32%, 20%, and 12% of moderate, severe, and extreme drought, respectively.
What Are Some of the Consequences of the Drought So Far?
Due to the dry spell, the snowpack has resided below average this year, not to mention the early snowmelt raising concerns.
What’s more, there are conflicts among farmers, tribes, upstream users, endangered fish, and municipal water systems over who should get priority on the limited water resources.
What Is the Best Way to Deal With the Drought?
Unlike what most people think, drought is not a result of some mysterious CO2-based climate change. Instead, it is a combination of human action, natural phenomena, and lack of preparation, adaptation, and problem-solving by authorities.
Therefore, your best chance is not to wait for the government to provide solutions for the drought in California and Nevada, and beyond. Instead, the best you can do is prepare yourself and your families the best way you can.
Watch this video by FOX 13 News Utah on startling video shows low water levels in Utah reservoirs:
There you have it, survivalists. The drought is already here, and regardless of whatever reasons you think could be the cause, it is only safe to assume that there will be no reasonable solutions soon enough. Therefore, prepare yourself for the worst as you hope for the best.
Note: There is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post’s poll.
Has your state been struck by drought? Let us know in the comment section below!
- The Top Foods to Dehydrate to Survive Long Term
- Was Your Water Bottled in Drought-Stricken California?
- Top 9 Essential Camping Gear To Have
Calling all preppers, craftsmen, bushmasters, outdoorsmen, and all-around skilled people, Survival Life needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.